I have been hosting coffee playdates we call “A Latté Fun” for all of us military spouses here at Ellsworth AFB to socialize over coffee (or hot tea) while our kids play together. As I was preparing to host another one, I was rummaging through my pantry to find something to make for us to snack on without having to run to the store first, then I remembered that I saw this delicious looking cheesy pull apart bread on Pinterest and since I have a soft spot for bread, I decided that I would make some for us. After deciding and getting my ingredients together for this yummy Sweet Caraway Batter Bread that I make; I decided that I had rather have cinnamon rolls. However, I still wanted my Sweet Caraway Bread. So, what do I do? I combine the two and make this sweet bread with a hint of caraway and orange covered in vanilla honey butter with sugar and cinnamon sprinkled all over then drizzled with icing. Sounds amazing, right!? I could hardly contain myself while I was preparing it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all did!
First step is to bake the Sweet Caraway Batter Bread.
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp grated orange peel
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2-1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-2/3 cups bread flour
- In small saucepan, boil the water, brown sugar, butter, orange peel, and caraway seeds for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm.
- Pour boiled liquids in bowl. Mix in milk and yeast. Stir then let sit for 5 minutes until yeast becomes bubbly.
- Mix in flour and salt until well mixed.
- Cover bowl with clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let rise in warm place for 30 minutes.
- Stir down batter.
- Scrape batter into a greased bread pan, 9x5x3 inches. Cover and let rise in warm place for another 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped on.
- Remove loaf from pan and let cool.
Second step is the cinnamon roll part of this recipe:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
To make Vanilla Honey Butter:
- Whip butter and 1/4 cup powdered sugar together until smooth; stir in honey and vanilla. Set aside. (You can use regular butter if desired)
- Cut the bread lengthwise into 1/2″ slices, without cutting through the bottom crust. Spread vanilla honey butter in between slices.
- Rotate the bread 90 degrees and slice the bread again into 1/2″ pieces, without cutting through the bottom crust. Spread more vanilla honey butter in between new cuts. This doesn’t need to be perfect – just make sure there is lots of butter in between all the cuts.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon. Generously sprinkle in between all cuts. (You may have extra butter and cinnamon sugar. (I did not. I piled it on thick!) It will just depend on how large your bread loaf is.)
- Wrap in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until bread is warm.
- Unwrap cinnamon bread and place on serving platter.
- Combine powdered sugar and milk – adding milk until you get the consistency desired. Drizzle icing over bread and serve immediately.
Enjoy the sweet and sticky deliciousness!