I love, love, love potato soup. Any and all that I have ever tried, but this one has been my go-to favorite of them all. I have made a few changes from the recipe I came across years ago and made it an even heartier soup. The Italian sausage and buttery potatoes with delicious kale and bacon. Bacon makes everything better, right?! I always have Italian sausage, bacon and potatoes on hand, so this is pretty easy for me to whip up and even easier since getting a pressure cooker.
Just a few notes to answer questions that I’m always asked:
~Kale is in the fresh produce section and is green and usually in a “bunch” bundled together.
~I always use Red Potatoes because that is what I have on hand at all times; however, any potato will work. Russet potatoes tend to stay together the best whereas the softer potatoes do fall apart more.
~I used heavy whipping cream for a more creamy broth, but I have also used half and half and even 1% milk. So, use whatever you have on hand or prefer.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Brown time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
* 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
* 1/2 a medium onion, diced
*2 tsp garlic, minced
* 8 slices bacon, diced
* 4 cups potatoes, sliced evenly into rounds
*2 (32 oz) chicken broth
*1 bunch kale, chopped into bite size pieces (add as much or as little as you like)
*3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (or milk/half & half)
1. Place Italian sausage in pressure cooker and cook on “brown”.
2. Use slotted spoon to remove sausage and place on paper towel to drain.
3. Add onion and bacon to pressure cooker in the sausage grease and cook on “brown” until onions are translucent.
4. Remove onion and bacon and place with sausage to drain the grease. Just pour the grease out and don’t clean the pot out because that’s just delicious flavor!
5. Add the Italian sausage, onion and bacon back into the pressure cooker with the minced garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
6. Add the potatoes and chicken broth; cover and cook for 25 minutes.
7. Release pressure once done cooking, but keep away from the steam!
8. Add heavy whipping cream and kale just before serving; stir and serve.
Make some bread sticks and sweet tea and you have a complete hearty meal that will be sure to satisfy you.