I am a soup lover. Just about any type of soup; all year long. I absolutely love it! I’m always looking at ways to bring in healthier eating to the family during the week since we tend to splurge and grill or smoke something on the weekends. This soup goes from fridge/pantry to table in just 30 minutes… or less! And of course it’s fairly healthy for you as well. That’s even better!
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups fresh kale, chopped
- 2 (12 ounce) packages of sausage (I used this cajun style sausage.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes, until soft.
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, sausage, chickpeas and seasoning and bring to a boil.
- Add the kale and reduce the heat and simmer until kale is tender.
note: If I hadn’t used Cajun style sausage, I would have used red pepper flakes to taste so it would have a little hint of heat.